Going by the article on Forbes, Dato’ Lee Chong Wei might be the most talked about man in cyberworld immediately after his long stroke shuttle hit outside the the back boundary line and missed the much awaited Gold Medal at London2012.
Gist of the report:
- 16,847 tweets per minute mentioning about the outcome of the Sunday match
- mentions of Lee Chong Wei himself have spiked to over 9,200 tweets per minutes!
- Lee Chong Wei garnered nearly 500,000 mentions on Sunday. (Lin Dan only 238,000 mentions)
- added close to 50,000 new followers on Twitter in 24 hours after his match.
- #ThankYouLeeChongWei reached No. 3 in the Twitter’s Worldwide Trends list after the match ended
ESPN commentator is right when he said:
Jonathan Liew of The Telegraph wrote: he [Lee Chong Wei] may be Malaysia’s only genuinely world-class athlete, with all the crushing expectation that entails.
London2012 is still running (at this blog post time) but it has already filled with attractions. Nor Suryani Mohd Taibi, became first women to compete with an eight month pregnancy period and won her the Baron de’ Coubertain medal. A Korean fencer, Shin A-Lam refuses to leave the piste being not satisfied with the judging and losing to Germany’s Britta Heidermann in the Women’s Individual Epee.
Will Lee Chong Wei – Lin Dan’s clash be part of Olympic history to date?
Can Dato’ Lee Chong Wei be nominated as “Malaysia’s Man of The Year 2012″. He has showed us that sports is the uniting factor of one country especially when it relates to Malaysia being a multi-ethnical country.